If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, you know the Calandro Clan celebrates every Friday night with Pizza Night. If you want to know more about this weekly tradition, you can read about it here and here. Luckily for us, April Fool’s Day just happens to fall on a Friday this year so we can trick our boys and combine it with our weekly tradition. Wahoo!
Thanks to some lovely folks I met on twitter, Sherry and Wendy of Kiboomu, I saw this recipe for an April Fool’s Day pizza. I followed the directions and it turned out awesome! Here are a few tips if you ever want to try this:
- It takes longer than you think it will. It took about 1.5 hours from start to finish.
- Cutting out the fruit roll ups is what took the longest -that stuff gets sticky!
- I stuck the chocolate under the broiler for just a few minutes to make it look like melted cheese. And it got a bit brown -perfect!
- The chocolate gets grated really fine and when it is sprinkled over the jelly it gets mooshy. You need more than you think you might and add more after it sits a while.
- I really wanted something black because M2 loves olives on his pizza. Black licorice would have been perfect! But I thought of it after I got home from the store.
The LOML and I are so excited to serve this to the boys tonight! Unfortunately, they’re already on to our shenanigans because a few years ago we made meatloaf (chocolate rice crispy treats), carrots (orange Starbursts), and mashed potatoes (whipped cream) for dinner on another April Fool’s Day. They loved it and have waited for us to fool them with food ever since. Well tonight is their lucky night.
How do you celebrate this day of trickery and deception? Do you have any traditions for this holiday or have you ever tried fooling friends with food? I always love to hear your stories. Enjoy and Happy April Fool’s Day, everyone!